Category B samples must be packaged according to the following guidance:
- Primary container
- The sample must be placed into a correctly labelled, water-tight and leakproof specimen container. For information on the correct container to use, please consult laboratory staff.
- This container must then go into a purpose-designed plastic specimen bag to separate multiple samples.
- Secondary packaging
- The primary containers within their specimen bags must be placed in a clear, durable plastic bag.
- The bag must contain sufficient absorbent material to absorb the contents of the primary container(s).
- Outer packaging
- The secondary packaging must be placed in a compliant carrier. This must be maintained in good condition.
- The outside of the carrier must be clearly labelled biological substance, Category B and display the diamond-shaped UN 3373 badge.
Any sample that arrives to the laboratory is checked against the following acceptance criteria before processing: